How do I repair/install IE after Conduit messed it up?

I had a run-in with Conduit installing its garbage onto my computer, which caused my IE 10 to stop working correctly. I managed to fully delete Conduit from my computer, but IE is still non functional, despite Microsoft repair/fix tools, and simply re-installing doesn’t work (I get a message saying, ‘Setup cannot continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is already installed on your computer’). I really don’t know what else to do! How can IE 10 be fixed on my computer? (IE 10 for Windows 7, 64-bit).

2 Responses

  1. predaking says:

    It seems to me that some files of Internet Explorer are locked. Existing registry entries that belong to previous installation of IE may still be present on the computer. You may have not fully removed the program. It could also be due to corrupted user profile. Conduit may have altered some settings in there. See this guide to fix corrupted profile. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

    Have you tried re-installing IE using different log-on account? Try reinstalling it with an account that has full privilege on Windows, an Admin account. If that doesn’t help, try using a free version of Revo Uninstaller. It may find existing files of Internet Explorer that you need to remove.

    Another tool you may use is FileAssasin and RegAssassin. It removes files and registry entries deposited by malware and viruses.

    Here is another topic that may help you. “Troubleshooting a failed installation of Internet Explorer 10”
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688

  2. Filco says:

    Hi : After downloading and installing uTorrent I found a program had been installed on my computer that was locking google chrome browser settings, search engines, homepage etc.

    Unfortunately I cant remember the programs name but it was pretty obvious when I searched for it.

    I removed this program via add/remove programs in control panel, then uninstalled chrome, then reinstalled chrome and voila chrome was back to normal ( and IE was working properly again as well )

    Hope this helps